Keeping Equipment Secure and Efficient with Proper Torque
Why Proper Fastener Torque is Essential
Your business depends on its equipment being efficient and safe. This means ensuring the tensile health of all of its fasteners, nuts and bolts. In any application, bolt fasteners experience tension. If the tension is too high, fastener threads will strip and the bolt will fail; too low and the nut will vibrate and eventually work itself off the bolt. Constant and even bolt tension is paramount to optimal joint strength. A bolt’s threads convert torque applied from a wrench into tension between the nut seat and the underhand seat (the bolt’s head) to create clamping force. As torque is applied, the bolt’s shank stretches and may be subject to more tension than the bolt can handle depending on material used, load rating and thread coarseness.
Material CreepWhen twisting force is enacted, some materials like gaskets and spring washers will produce a certain amount of play as the joint relaxes. This variable is known as material creep and it will prevent optimal torque application if it is not considered. There are some steps that our technicians take to ensure a proper joint fit:
- The fastener is properly secured, then untightened to allow the material to flex. It is then properly torqued for a tight and constant fit.
- Allow a waiting period, followed by a re-torqueing.
- A partial joint redesign to reduce creep. This may include replacing plastic washers and gaskets with a sealing compound or steel washers.
- Using a reduced RPM tool for final torque application.
Fastener Maintenance Experts
Terminal Andrae has the tools and the talent to inspect and diagnose potential fastener problems before they fail and cost you thousands. To keep your machines running flawlessly and your production at peak efficiency, run maintenance checks on all bolts and fasteners today.
Quality Electrical Engineering Services
Check out our Portfolio Project Portfolio
Terminal Andrae News
View all News Entries
- ꦏMilwaukee Industrial Electricians Fit into the Fold of History
- 💦Milwaukee Electrical Construction CAD Design Service
- 🐻Arc Flash Analysis and Compliance Solutions Services Provide Safety
- ✃Milwaukee Emergency Electrical Repair and Electrical Preventative Maintenance from Terminal-Andrae
- ඣHigh Quality Milwaukee Commercial Electrical Construction Services